The SCP Section on Professional Practice continues to develop initiatives and projects related to the practice of Counseling Psychology. Please continue to check this page for updates!
Leadership Team Opportunities
The Section for Professional practice wants YOU! We are looking to fill the
following openings on our Leadership Team:
- SAS Student Representatives (up to 2)
- Social Media and Technology Coordination
- Website Coordinator
- Research Committee Chair
Webinars and Podcasts
- “Building a Private Practice” (Collaborative webinar with SCP Early Career Professionals Committee) —> hyperlink title of webinar to: https://youtu.be/R5tTdtxv8ps
- Additional practice-focused Webinars can be found on the SCP YouTube Page —> hyperlink “SCP YouTube Page” to: https://www.youtube.com/user/D17CounselingPsych
APA 2019 Convention Programming – coming soon!
APA 2018 Convention Programming
Sessions and Meetings
- Orientation to the ABPP Board Certification Process: Sharon Bowman, Ph.D., Jeanette Madkins, Ph.D., and Mary O’Leary Wiley, Ph.D.
- SCP Practitioners’ Networking Breakfast and Section on Professional Practice Business Meeting: Valene Whittaker, Ph.D. and Sherry Benton, Ph.D.
- International Section and Section on Professional Practice: Mentoring International/Immigrant Psychologists’ Building Independent Practice (Collaborative Roundtable): Yi-Juin Lin, Ph.D. (chair), Jinhee Kang, Ph.D.Keum-Hyeong Choi, Ph.D., Seda Sumer-Richards, Ph.D., and Valene Whittaker, Ph.D.
- How to develop specific career paths in Counseling Psychology (Collaborative Roundtable): Wonjin Sim, Ph.D. (chair), Nadia T.. Hasan, Ph.D., Lori Kogan, Ph.D., Mary Ann Hoffman, Ph.D., Valene Whittaker, Ph.D., Margit I. Bergman, Ph.D., Phyllis Erdman, Ph.D. Kathryn Ziemer, Ph.D., Trisha L. Raque-Bogdan, Ph.D., Marcy Rowland, Ph.D., and Shavonne J. Moore, Ph.D.
Student Poster Presentations:
- Beyond Betrayal: How Marginalized Couples Cope with Infidelity and Experience Posttraumatic Growth: Asia Amos, M.Ed., Emily El-Oglah, M.A., and Laura Marks, Ph.D.
- Understanding Neurasthenia, a cultural bound syndrome, among Chinese International Students at the University of Iowa: Yu Chak Sunny Ho, M.A., Ed.M. and Laurence Chen, M.A., Ed.M.
- An Examination of the Factor Structure of the Trauma Inventory for Partners of Sex Addicts (TIPSA): Heidi A. Vogeler, Ph.D., Lane Fischer, Ph.D., Richard Sudweeks, Ph.D., and Kevin Skinner, Ph.D.
Best in Practice Address:
- The Development and Impact of the “Naming It” Podcasts: Exploring the Intersections of Social Justice, Psychology, and Blackness: Bedford E.F. Palmer II, Ph.D. and LaMisha Hill, Ph.D.