The SCP Executive Board met for a 1.5-day meeting just prior to the SCP Conference in Atlanta a few weeks ago. We discussed some interesting ideas for the next few years. Highlights include ideas for:
- Meeting with leaders in SCP who have materials and stories about SCP history, perhaps conducting some recordings like NPR’s StoryCorps (see SCP Historian Jim Lichtenberg for more information)
- Promoting our Convention programs through social media and video recordings (Special Task Group co-chaired by Dom Scalise and Joe Hammer)
- Previewing President-Elect Michael Mobley’s Presidential Initiatives to begin in August: (1) Empowering Youth, (2) Engagement, and (3) Integrative Behavioral Health Training and Competencies
- Continuing investment in early career ethnic minority leadership development with the Ethnic Minority Psychological Associations through the Leadership Development Institute. We send one early career fellow and one mentor each year. (our involvement coordinated by VP for Diversity and Public Interest Michele Boyer)
We voted on a few items, including:
- To hold a Counseling Psychology Conference every 6 years (passed unanimously): watch for the next conference in 2020!
- To establish the SCP Leadership Academy Committee as a continuing committee rather than a Presidential Special Task Group (passed unanimously). The Committee will provide the Leadership Academy every 2 years. Watch for the next one in 2016!
- To fund professional photography at APA convention every 2 years for photos to be used on the SCP website, and to establish a new position of Photo Shoot Coordinator (unanimously approved). Watch for opportunities to be in a photo shoot at this year’s convention in Washington, DC!