Hoffman Report – SCP Response
As many of you know, the report of independent review of APA’s involvement with the Department of Defense and the CIA related to torture is now public. It is the Hoffman Report. You may read it and APA’s statements and announcements of recent personnel actions at http://www.apa.org/independent-review/. We encourage you to at least read the Executive Summary of the report. The report reaches some alarming and disturbing conclusions based on a thorough analysis of information available.
Please know that our SCP Executive Board is working to gather your input, and will address issues with the APA Board of Directors and Council of Representatives on behalf of our members during the convention and afterwards. We have already established an email account (Div17CORactions@gmail.com) to hear your voices and perspectives and an SCP Open Forum has been scheduled to take place in Toronto, from 8:00 am – 10:00 am, Thursday. Please see the details below. For more information on SCP’s response and to read our statement, please go to https://www.div17.org/scp-connect/scp-news/scp-responds-to-the-hoffman-report/.
Get your passports ready because APA 2015 in Toronto is upon us. The complete program schedule can be found at https://www.div17.org/wp-content/uploads/Div17APA-Program-Schedule_20151.pdf.
Please make time to attend various SCP events. Here are some important events, those precious times in which we make time to discuss important issues, honor our “stars²”and/or catch up with friends and acquaintances:
- Open Meeting: Discussion of the Hoffman Report with SCP Council Representatives and Executive Board members Thursday from 8:00 – 10:00 am; Northern Lights Ballroom, Renaissance Toronto;
- Leona Tyler address Thursday (@ 1:00 PM) will be given this year by Bob Lent; Convention Centre, Room 101;
- SCP Fellows addresses on Friday from 4:00 -6:00 PM, Convention Centre, Room 701A;
- Best in Science and Best in Practice Address on Saturday at 10:00 AM, Convention Centre, Room 707;
- Presidential Address (@2:00 PM) and business meeting (@3:00 PM) on Saturday; Fairmont Royal York, Hotel Concert Hall
- Our two official social hours on Thursday (@ 5:00 PM) and Saturday (@4:00 PM). Fairmont Royal York, Hotel Ballroom (Thursday) and Fairmont Royal York, Hotel Concert Hall (Saturday)
For details on these events and more, please see the SCP website for information on Toronto convention and related activities: https://www.div17.org/about-scp/conferences/apa-convention/. As a reminder, the SCP Hospitality space is located at the Renaissance Toronto Downtown, One Blue Jays Way, Toronto, Ontario M5V 1J4 Canada .
Congratulations Again to the Newly Elected SCP Leadership!
President-elect: Marty Heesacker
VP for Practice: Sherry Benton
VP for Science: Rachel Navarro
APA Council Representative: Roberta Nutt
Have you Checked Out SCP Connect?
Stay in touch with the latest SCP news by going to https://www.div17.org/scp-connect/.
Michael Mobley, Ph.D.