The purpose of this attached quick information sheet is to provide an overview of and a few highlights from the recently APA-endorsed Guidelines for Psychological Practice with Transgender and Gender Nonconforming Clients (2015). These guidelines were endorsed by APA in December 2015, and now guide psychological practice with transgender clients.
We hope that this document helps encourage students, supervisors, and training directors learn about the guidelines and integrate them into psychological practice, training, and supervision.We encourage counseling psychology training directors, supervisors, and students to circulate this information within their institutions, as well as sharing them with their peers and other groups who may benefit from learning affirmative psychological practice with transgender and gender nonconforming clients. We also hope that the Division 17 community will learn these guidelines and actively take part in fighting the anti-trans legislation around the U.S.
We are also quite aware of the current sociopolitical and cultural context of racism and violence that is impacting multiple communities within the U.S. and around the world currently. We offer some additional resources to support trans people of color below:
- Read and know the high rates of violence toward trans people of color:http://www.advocate.com/
- Join Trans People of Color Coalition on Facebook: http://transpoc.org
- Watch Janet Mock’s video on transgender barriers: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/
2013/06/27/janet-mock- transgender-issues_n_3512053. html
- Read and consider the needs of Trans people of color within training and practice settings: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/
kortney-ryan-ziegler-phd/uses- of-black-trans-male-anger_b_ 3065450.html
- Watch and think about how your gender liberation is connected to transgender liberation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?