All proposals for Continuing Education (CE) must be reviewed by the Division 17 CE Committee.
Requesting approval of a CE proposal through Division 17 of the APA is a five step process.
- STEP 1: At least 6 weeks prior to the date of the CE program, please submit a completed SCP CE Application (revised 1/6/20) Word document via email to the CE Committee Chair. Please review the Application now to see what information is required.
- STEP 2: Be patient as the CE Committee reviews your proposal. We like to have these returned to you within about two weeks. It is likely that you will be asked to make revisions for clarity and to adhere to the APA CESA Standard and Criteria.
- STEP 3: Make revisions and re-submit to the CE Committee Chair. Often, unless significant revisions are necessary, the Chair can determine that all requested changes have been made and provide approval within one week.
- STEP 4: Offer the CE program. Whether the program is online or face-to-face, the following are required to be submitted within 2 weeks of the CE program being offered.
- Attendance: Please keep a record of all attendees. Provide to the CE Committee Chair a PDF Attendance List with attendees’ names, city/state, email, and whether the attendee is a psychologist (yes/no). Download and use this Attendance List Template.
- Evaluation: Anyone who receives CE must complete an evaluation of the program. Download and customize this Evaluation Template, whether you plan to collect the evaluation data via paper or online survey. It includes required items and scaling. Provide to the CE Committee Chair a one-page PDF Evaluation Summary of the evaluation data (NOT raw data) with mean scores for each item.
- Advertisement: Provide the CE Committee Chair with a single Advertising PDF containing all promotional materials (e.g., brochures, pamphlets, emails, web pages) you used to advertise the CE program. You may download these sample promotional materials: Example A and Example B. APA CESA has strict guidelines regarding CE icons and statements in promotional material: this “APA Approved Sponsor” icon plus approval statement must be used in all advertising of the SCP-sponsored CE activities, cannot be modified, and the icon cannot be used by itself without the accompanying text. Thus, whenever your promotional materials talk about the fact that psychologists can earn CE by attending, please make sure this icon+statement is displayed.
- STEP 5: Attendees should be provided a certificate of completion at the conclusion of the CE program. Work with the CE Committee Chair to develop a certificate of completion. The certificate should abide by APA CESA and SCP CE Committee guidelines, including specific language, logo, and a signature line for the CE Committee Chair.
Joseph H. Hammer, PhD (Chair)
Claudia Porras, PhD
Ellen Vaughan, PhD