All proposals for Continuing Education (CE) must be reviewed by the Division 17 CE Committee.
Requesting approval of a CE proposal through Division 17 of the APA is a five step process.
- STEP 1: At least 6 weeks prior to the date of the CE program, please submit a completed SCP CE Application (revised 12/4/18) via email to the CE Committee Chair, which requests the following information about each CE program:
- Presenter(s) and credentials
- Dates and times
- Number of instructional hours and number of CE Credits (usually one in the same)
- CE Level (introductory, intermediate, advanced)
- How presenters will ensure active engagement/interaction between presenters and audience
- Program content type (assessment and intervention, ethics/legal, other psychological practice/education/research topics)
- Program description (usually one paragraph)
- Three or more APA-Style References that provide evidence that the program content meets the APA CESA Standard and Criteria
- Measurable, observable Learning Objectives
- Assessment items that match each Learning Objective
- Target audience
- Activity format (lecture/seminar, workshop, conference session)
- How presenters will address potential conflicts of interest
- Compliance Checklist (assurances the program meets 9 key requirements)
- A current CV for each of the presenters
- The Division 17 CE Committee is required by APA CESA to collect, verify, and/or annually report these 17 pieces of information about all CE programs we approve, in addition to attendance records, evaluation rating summaries, and promotional materials.
- STEP 2: Be patient as the CE Committee reviews your proposal. We like to have these returned to you within about two weeks. It is likely that you will be asked to make revisions for clarity and to adhere to the APA CESA Standard and Criteria.
- STEP 3: Make revisions and re-submit to the CE Committee Chair. Often, unless significant revisions are necessary, the Chair can determine that all requested changes have been made and provide approval within one week.
- STEP 4: Offer the CE program. Whether the program is online or face-to-face, the following are required to be submitted within 2 weeks of the CE program being offered.
- Attendance: Please keep a record of all attendees. Provide to the CE Committee Chair a PDF Attendance List with attendees’ names, city/state, email, and whether the attendee is a psychologist (yes/no). You may download this Attendance List Template.
- Evaluation: Anyone who receives CE must complete an evaluation of the program. This evaluation should include standard items as well as items that were tailored specifically for this program (the Assessment items that were approved with your proposal). Provide to the CE Committee Chair a PDF Evaluation Summary of the evaluation data (NOT raw data) with mean scores for each item. You may download this Evaluation Template.
- Advertisement: Provide the CE Committee Chair with a single PDF containing all promotional materials (e.g., brochures, pamphlets, emails, web pages) you used to advertise the CE program. You may download these sample promotional materials: Example A and Example B.
- STEP 5: Attendees should be provided a certificate of completion at the conclusion of the CE program. Work with the CE Committee Chair to develop a certificate of completion. Certificate should abide by general guidelines, including specific language, logo, and a signature line for the CE Committee Chair.
Joseph H. Hammer, PhD (Chair 2018-2020)
Claudia Porras, PhD
Marilyn Cornish, PhD