Counseling Psychology Colleagues:
It is my pleasure to share with you our 2018 Division 17, Society of Counseling Psychology’s programming for the American Psychological Association’s 126th Annual Convention. The 2018 SCP convention theme is Leadership through Advocacy: Influencing and Advancing Change. Our convention programming was organized by our Program Chair, Dr. Melissa Morgan Consoli, University of California, Santa Barbara. She was ably assisted by Drs. Patrick Grzanka and Joe Miles, our Program Chairs-Elect. I especially want to thank Melissa Morgan Consoli for serving as our 2018 Program Chair and for her steadfast leadership in capturing the theme for this year’s annual convention in our program. Of course, this accomplishment was possible only through well-developed proposals submitted by SCP members and committed reviewers. If you are a presenter and a reviewer, I want to thank you for contributing to the success of our programming in San Francisco, CA.
If you submitted a proposal that was not accepted, please don’t lose heart. Submit again next year. I know the Program Chair and the evaluators had to make some very difficult decisions because SCP’s program hours are limited and the quantity and quality of SCP proposals are outstanding. Many very good proposals do not get accepted. If only we had more program hours!
However, we are fortunate to be in the fifth year of APA’s Collaborative Programming—the association’s effort to foster cross-cutting and interdisciplinary-oriented programs that are the shared effort of two or more divisions. SCP is a partner on 21 of these collaborative programs this year. A number of SCP programs are approved as CE sessions. I encourage you earn CEs through these offerings. When you add to this mix a variety of SCP-sponsored poster sessions, symposia and roundtable discussions, I think you will agree that we have an impressive line-up. Check out all we offer and plan your schedule accordingly.
I would also like to highlight for you several time-honored SCP programs that recognize significant contributions to our discipline and our members’ leadership within the professional and scientific communities.
- The Leona Tyler Award is SCP’s most prestigious honor; this year, Dr. Nadya Fouad will give the Leona Tyler Invited Address Thursday, August 9, 1:00 pm Moscone Center.
- On Friday, August 10 at 4:00 pm at the Moscone Center Rm 2024, our newest SCP Fellows will deliver invited presentations.
- Then, on Saturday, August 11 at 10:00 am in Moscone Center room 3005, you’re invited to our Best in Practice Address given by Bedform Palmer, II, and LaMisha Hill and Best in Science Address given by Karen O’Brien.
We also have two social hours:
- The first is on Thursday, August 9, 6:00 – 6:50 pm in the Marriott Marquis. What I love about this social hour is that it is combined with a student poster session.
- The second is on Saturday, August 11, 4:00 – 5:50 pm, immediately following the annual membership meeting at the Hilton Union Square.
In addition, I wish to highlight a few more sessions that are related to my initiatives:
- Symposium/Presidential Initiative on Leadership – Insights and Strategies on Thursday, August 9, 2-3:50 in Moscone Center, Room 2018; Presenters: Alvin Alvarez, Le Ondra Clark, Arpana Inman, Ruth Fassinger, Rachel Navarro, Glenn Good, Barry Chung, Anita Thomas, Annette Kluck. Libby Nutt
- Community Advocacy-Training Psychologists to Act Locally on Friday, August 10, 10-10:50 am in Moscone Center Room 20-21. This is a joint CODAPAR grant session sponsored by Div 17, 27, 35, 45; For Div 17: Chris Liang, Rebecca Toporek, Shaznin Daruwalla, Arpana Inman; For Div 27: Ken Maton, Yolanda Suarez-Balcazar; For Div 35: Ivy Ho, Margaret Signorella; For Div 45: Kira Banks, Angela Ferguson, Robyn Gobin, Helen Neville
- Master’s Training Discussion on Friday, 8/10/2018, 1pm in the SCP Hospitality Suite, Monterey. Co-Coordinators by Div 17, CCPTP, and CMCTP; Led by Mike Scheel
- Strategic Planning STG Town Hall on Friday, 8/10/2018, 7:30-9am in the SCP Hospitality Suite, Niko 1&2. Co-Chairs: John Westefeld and Tania Israel
- Social Justice Leadership – National and International Perspectives on Sunday, August 12, 11-11:50, Moscone Center Room 156 (this is a joint collaboration between the SCP VP for Diversity and Public Interest and International Affairs)
Finally, Saturday is a big day for SCP. First, I invite you to join me for my Presidential Address “Leadership in SCP and the Academy” on Saturday, 8/11/18, 2-2:50 pm in the Hilton San Francisco Union Square Hotel Continental Ballrooms 4 & 5, which will be followed in the same room by our SCP business meeting, from 3:00 – 4:00 pm. That will be followed by our second social hour in the same location.
The SCP Hospitality Space Schedule, organized by Dr. Kerrie Wilkins-Yel, is also attached here. The Hospitality Space will be at the Hotel Nikko San Francisco. Offerings include Section business meetings, ECP and student mentoring sessions, and a variety of networking opportunities. Please take a moment to thank Kerrie Wilkins-Yel when you see her. Coordinating the hospitality suite is not an easy feat and she has done an amazing job. Thank you Kerrie!
I can’t wait to see you all in San Francisco, CA.