2018 SCP Leadership Academy – Call for Applications
DUE OCTOBER 1, 2017
The Society of Counseling Psychology (SCP) Leadership Academy is designed to inspire, recruit, and train future leaders in counseling psychology. Participants will attend a leadership training program, receive mentoring, and complete a leadership project related to current SCP initiatives. In conjunction with the 2018 SCP Midyear Executive Board Meeting to be held January 11-14, 2018, the SCP Leadership Academy will focus on developing leadership potential in broadly defined multicultural and global contexts. Results of the leadership projects will be presented at the 2018 American Psychological Association (APA) Annual Convention in San Francisco. We expect graduates of the Academy to make a commitment to future service on SCP committees and Sections, as elected officers in SCP, and as leaders in a variety of positions in APA, their places of employment, and society at large.
Reflections from the 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2016 Leadership Academy participants highlight the value of participating in the Leadership Academy. Please see the links to our 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2016 participant Bios for more information on past SCP Leadership Academy participants. Or copy this link into your browser: https://www.div17.org/groups/scp-leadership-academy/
We invite counseling psychology doctoral students and early career psychologists (10 years or less since doctorate) who are interested in and committed to leadership in the Society of Counseling Psychology (Division 17) to apply for the SCP Leadership Academy.
The Leadership Academy is designed for doctoral students and ECPs who are interested in leadership, but have not yet held major leadership positions in SCP, APA, or APAGS. Training a diverse group of students and ECPs, the Leadership Academy will help develop the next generation of SCP leaders and contribute to the future of counseling psychology. By pairing future society leaders with past and current leaders, the Leadership Academy hopes to create opportunities for students and ECPs to take the next steps toward leadership in counseling psychology.
Components of the Leadership Academy
- Participate in the leadership training concurrent with the 2018 SCP Executive Board (EB) Mid-winter Meeting (January 11-14th).
- Observe portions of the SCP Executive Board (EB) meeting and participate in joint activities with EB members.
- Design and conduct a project that contributes to a current SCP initiative (e.g., Section, Special Interest Group) with the help of a mentor.
- While conducting the project, become a member of the working group (Committee, Section, Special Interest Groups) and contribute to its mission.
- Reconvene with the Leadership Academy for a half-day leadership training concurrent with the SCP Annual Executive Board meeting before the 2018 APA Convention in San Francisco (Wednesday evening, 4-10pm).
- Participate in SCP leadership activities and events at the 2018 APA Convention.
- Present the results of leadership projects at the 2018 APA Convention.
The Leadership Academy is designed to help participants:
- Understand the structure and function of leadership positions in SCP;
- Assess one’s own leadership style and potential in a multicultural context;
- Observe SCP Executive Board engaging in leadership activities;
- Observe and participate in leadership activities in a SCP working group;
- Conceptualize and implement a LA project to be completed and presented at the 2018 APA convention;
- Network and develop working relationships with SCP leaders;
- Identify a path to leadership within SCP and seek/obtain a leadership position;
- Describe basic APA governance and how to seek leadership positions in APA.
Criteria for Participation
The Leadership Academy Committee is seeking a diverse group of students and ECPs who meet the following criteria:
- Currently a student enrolled in a counseling psychology doctoral program or a counseling psychologist who completed doctoral degree within the last 10 years;
- A current, paid member of SCP or SAS, as of the date of the application;
- Committed to making a professional impact through leadership in a multicultural context (i.e. leadership situated in understanding one’s own multiple intersecting identities and how power, privilege and oppression affect psychology, U.S. society and our global world);
- Interested in pursuing leadership positions in SCP and APA in the future;
- Not yet held an elected position in SCP, chaired a SCP committee, served in APA governance or an elected position in APAGS.
- Available and able to attend two leadership training sessions with the funding limits noted:
- Two and 1/2 day leadership training that will occur in conjunction with SCP Midyear Executive Board Meeting (January 11-14, 2018);
- Each participant will be reimbursed for travel and lodging expenses to attend the Midyear LA training. Acceptable travel expenses include coach airfare, double hotel accommodations, and ground transportation congruent with APA travel policy;
- Committed to complete a leadership project to be presented at the 2018 APA Convention in San Francisco.
- Additional LA training will take place on Wednesday, August 9, 2018 from 4-10 pm in conjunction with the SCP Annual Executive Board Meeting, immediately prior to the APA Convention;
To apply for the Leadership Academy, please submit the following materials to Debbie Nolan at firstname.lastname@example.org by October 1, 2017. Materials will only be accepted via email. Please send all materials in a single attachment. The file name should be your last name and your status as either a student or an ECP (e.g. “ManeseECP.pdf” or “ForrestStudent.pdf”).
- A letter of interest that is no more than two pages single-spaced. In this letter, please provide information about yourself and your professional identity as a counseling psychologist or student in counseling psychology. Briefly discuss current/previous leadership experiences you have had and what you learned from them, particularly as they relate to our multicultural context. Please discuss why you would like to participate in the Leadership Academy, what you hope to gain, and how you would see yourself utilizing the Leadership Academy experience in your future work as a leader in SCP, including specific leadership roles you might like to pursue. Limit your letter to no more than two pages.
- A current curriculum vita.
- A letter of recommendation which specifically addresses your potential as a leader, your interpersonal skills, and your ability to complete projects successfully in a timely manner. If you are a student, please have a faculty member write this letter on your behalf. If you are an ECP, this letter could be written by a colleague or mentor.
We hope to notify applicants of decisions about selection to participate in the 2018 Leadership Academy by November 1st at the latest to ensure adequate time for booking airfare and clearing your schedule to attend the SCP Midyear Meeting.
2018 Leadership Academy
Linda Forrest, Leadership Academy Co-Chair
Jeanne Manese, Leadership Academy Co-Chair
Colton Brown, student member of LA faculty
Valene Whittaker, ECP member of LA faculty
Anneliese Singh, Mid-career member of LA faculty