The Society of Counseling Psychology Early Career Professionals Committee was established in 2006 to provide support to early career counseling psychologists, to facilitate ECP leadership in the Society, to communicate the concerns and perspectives of ECPs to Society leadership, and to help students transition into full and professional membership in the Society.
Div. 17 ECP Committee aims to:
- Provide resources relevant to ECP work and life
- Foster a home base for ECPs within the society
- Provide opportunities to connect with other society members
- Facilitate ECP leadership in the society and in APA
- Enhance the visibility of ECPs
Join the Committee
Committee members serve three-year* terms, with three new members added each year. The committee members attend APA Convention and develop projects throughout the year to enhance the personal and professional development of Early Career Psychologists (ECPs) in the Society of Counseling Psychology. Applications are reviewed by current members of the committee, and new members are then appointed by the Member Interface Board Director in consultation with the Division President.
ECPs and doctoral students entering their final year of study are eligible to apply.
*Importantly, all incoming committee members will also be included on a slate of candidates for the ECP Committee Chair-Elect position that is voted on by the SCP membership consistent with society bylaws. If elected, this person will serve a total of 4 years on the committee as follows (Year 1: Committee Member; Year 2: Chair-Elect; Year 3: Chair, includes serving as voting member of SCP Executive Board; Year 4: Past-Chair).
To apply, please e-mail the following materials to the current committee Chair at email@example.com:
- A letter of interest describing what you plan to contribute to the committee (i.e., qualifications, including relevant leadership experience; interest in current committee projects and/or ideas for new projects; willingness to attend APA convention, including conventions in Hawaii or Toronto when relevant; and clear indication of your commitment to leadership and leadership development over the next three to four years)
- A brief CV (no more than 3 pages)
- Please include all items in a single e-mail with the subject line: ECP Committee Application – LastName
Applications are accepted each year from April 15 to May 15. This year, applications are due July 15, 2020, and selected candidates will be informed prior to the start of APA convention 2020