This page summarizes information about the upcoming 2020 APA Convention virtual conference, which will be held August 6th (Thursday) through August 8th (Saturday).
Check this page periodically, as new information and updates will be posted as they become available.
You may view and download the SCP @ 2020 APA Convention Programming Guide at any time. This guide is updated periodically and contains information on the following:
- Welcome to the SCP @ 2020 APA Convention Programming Guide
- Welcome Message from SCP President
- SCP Leadership Roster
- SCP Liberation Lounge Schedule
- SCP Official APA Convention Programming
Introduction from the SCP Program Chairs
We are pleased to present the Society of Counseling Psychology (SCP) program for the 2020 American Psychological Association Convention virtually this year. We hope you will find the program to be a diverse representation of the impactful work conducted by our dedicated colleagues from across the field of counseling psychology and beyond.
We are appreciative of the poster and symposium presenters who have taken the additional efforts to shift to a virtual presentation format, especially given how much folks are struggling with at this time. We are also appreciative of our community for its flexibility and patience as we have figured out details of how to make our online conference work. We know that this year has presented new challenges and amplified others, and we know that the impact of the events of this year are affecting people differently. Those differences are something we no longer can afford to ignore.
As many of you are aware, Dr. Anneliese Singh’s presidential initiative has been to Build a Counseling Psychology of Liberation. We hope that this year’s conference offers you a number of opportunities to explore the meaning of liberation in counseling psychology. Please join us as an outstanding group of counseling psychologists help to expand our collective understanding of liberation as a community.
With APA being online this year, please note that our live Division events: Fellows Address, Awards (Best in Science, Best in Practice, Leona Tyler), Presidential Address, and Division Meeting will be happening in the Liberation Lounge.
We are so appreciative of the efforts of so many in our division who helped to put together this program. Thank you to all who submitted, reviewed, and then took the next step to moving presentations online. Your work is so valuable.
We will miss the opportunity to be with one another in DC this year. There is no replacement for the way in which our conferences allow us to spend time with each other. Still, we hope that you’ll take advantage of this unique opportunity to enjoy programming online – it will be available for a full year. You can register and view conference details at www.convention.apa.org.
Please note that changes to days, times, and locations (while, hopefully, unlikely) are still possible, so please check the official APA Convention Program to ensure that you have the most up-to-date information possible.
We hope you have a meaningful experience learning, networking, and connecting with colleagues, friends, and students online this year.
Dan Walinsky and Lamise Shawahin
SCP Program Co-Chairs, APA Convention 2020
Kerrie Wilkins-Yel, Delisha Pittman, Stephanie Carrera
SCP Program Co-Chairs, APA Convention 2021
Division 17 Live Programming Highlights & Zoom Info:
Thursday August 6:
9:00AM – 9:50AM: Counseling Psychology Roundtable Discussions (APA Programming)
10:00AM – 10:50AM: Human-Animal Interaction Social Hour / Student Poster Session ( https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88160081883)
12:00PM – 12:50PM: Liberation Lounge Release Event (https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87427282277)
1:00PM – 1:50PM: Section Round Tables*(https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZ0qde6hrzwrE914TblG2RQGQHxGbioaevV0)
6:00PM – 6:50PM: Section Student Poster Sessions*(https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUlcuuopjorGNbq9NhU53dQWMUq3btG2P8E)
7:00PM – 7:50PM: Society of Counseling Psychology Social Hour (https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85877454908)
Friday August 7:
11:00 – 12:50: Uprooting Anti-Blackness: Our Role as White Counseling Psychologists (https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89636103091)
1:00PM – 1:50PM: More Pie (https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81228229833)
2:00PM – 2:50PM: Liberation Lounge Release Event (https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89447174335)
4:00PM – 5:50PM: Fellows Addresses (https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81153274228)
6:00PM – 7:50PM: Live FREE: More Liberation, Less Harm NOW in Counseling Psychology* (https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZEkf-ytpz4pHtznVkR0GsVH9PL4-2df8131)
Saturday August 8:
10:00AM – 11:30AM: Developing a Counseling Psychology Advocacy Model (https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85137314269)
12:00PM – 12:50PM: Best in Science and Practice Watch Party (https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83828226078)
2:00PM – 2:50PM: Anneliese Singh, Ph.D., LPC SCP Presidential Address: “Building a Counseling Psychology of Liberation” (https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86993904230)
3:00PM – 4:30PM: SCP Business Meeting and Award Ceremony (https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89045085614)
5:00PM – 6:00PM: SCP Presidential Party*(https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUlcOqqqjgpGdM6WVB7Fu_qTPnqx00OIPJ2)
Division 17 Liberation Lounge Virtual Schedule & Info
- If you and/or someone you know submitted a request (either from the initial call and/or from the updated call once everything went virtual), please review for accuracy and respond to us if you find errors and/or areas to adjust. Once we went virtual, we did not include a mechanism in the survey to capture the desired timezone. We appreciate those of you who voluntarily added this info! We also appreciate those of you who let us know that you may or may not currently be in Hawaii (#Jealous) so that we can factor that into the scheduling, as well. With that being said, the entire schedule is in eastern standard time (Washington, DC).
- As a follow-up to the point above, the schedule that you see here is the PRELIMINARY schedule. This means that there is still room for things to be adjusted. The finalized schedule will be sent out once all necessary pieces are confirmed and will also include the respective Zoom links.
- We see our role, as well as the committee’s role, being somewhat more focused and truncated than it has been in previous years. For example, the extent of “tech support” may be to take a phone call from someone who is hoping for guidance on a) how to record a session or b) initiate break out rooms. As neither one of us are tech experts, we appreciate your patience ahead of time if we ourselves do not have all the answers.
- Similar to previous years in the space formerly known as “Hospitality Space,” there will be a point of contact should you need support of sorts for your respective Zoom.
- That being said, we recognize that this year, our focus is primarily the coordination of the schedule AND (see next point)
- As two Black identified people in America who continue to serve as Psychologists during our country’s current civil unrest, all while in the midst of an ongoing pandemic, we strongly encourage everyone to be intentional and mindful of discussions in the Liberation Lounge. In particular, we hope that the spirit and essence of Anneliese’s presidential theme of Liberation guides you and your guests. With cultural humility, we offer the following quote from Lilla Watson that we have seen her previously present: “If you come to help me, you are wasting your time. If you have come because your liberation is bound up with mine, then let us work together.” We also invite you to consider utilizing a quote and/or image to set the liberating tone for your virtual space since we won’t be able to create virtual backgrounds for everyone 🙂
In closing, please know that we wish you Life, Love, and Liberation from our hearts to yours.
Your Liberation Lounge Co-Conspirators,
Jas Tilghman, Ph.D.; Liberation Lounge Co-Chair
Milo Dodson, Ph.D.; Liberation Lounge Co-Chair
Division 17 Section Roundtables & Student Posters:
Section Roundtables: Thursday, August 6th 1 to 1:50 pm EST (Zoom details forthcoming)
Student Poster Presentations, Thursday, August 6 to 6:50 EST (Zoom details forthcoming)
- A list of all the 2020 Division 17 student posters can be accessed HERE.