The 2017 APA Annual Conference is here!
Next week is APA 2017 in Washington, DC, and I look forward to seeing many of you there. Please make time to attend SCP events. Here are some of the highlights for your schedule:
- TOWN HALL–Moving Forward: Engaging Active Strategies Around Social Justice. Thursday, August 3 @ 10-11:50am (Convention Center Room 206). Organizers Jean Lau Chin, Sherri Turner, Mary Gregerson, Marty Heesacker, Brittan Davis, Louise Douce, Anneliese Singh, & Valene Whittaker. This program will engage participants who, in light of America’s changing political climate, are committed to social justice-focused action. A dialogue-based format will allow participants to identify strategies to implement in their personal and professional communities.
- the Leona Tyler address Thursday (1:00 – 1:50 pm, EDT, 103B, CC) will be given this year by Sandy Shullman;
- the SCP Fellows addresses are on Friday from 4:00 – 4:50 pm, EDT, 146A, CC);
- the Presidential Address (2:00 – 2:50 pm, EDT) and business meeting (3:00 – 3:50 pm, EDT, Salon 5, Marriott Marquis) on Saturday;
- our two official social hours on Thursday (5:00 – 5:50 pm, EDT, Salon 5, Marriott Marquis) and Saturday (4:00 – 5:50 pm, EDT, Salon 5, Marriott Marquis).
- And the Best in Practice/Best in Science Addresses on Saturday (11:00 – 11:50 am, 208, CC)
These are the MUST-SEE SCP events, those precious times in which define our selves and our profession, we honor deserving students and colleagues, and when we make time to catch up with colleagues and friends. For details on these events and more, please see our SCP Convention Programming online: http://www.div17.org/about-scp/conferences/apa-convention/.
As a reminder, the SCP Hospitality space is located in the Mount Vernon Place United Methodist Church, across from the DC convention center, and SCP Presidential Suite in The Renaissance Washington DC downtown.
Rosie! You will hear more about this later, but our very own Rosie Bingham, past SCP/D17 President, is running for APA President. What an exciting opportunity we all have to support a distinguished colleague at a time when APA needs her leadership most! Run Rosie, run!
You will receive next month’s Announcements from our new SCP president, Arpana Inman, who will be sworn in as president at the end of the annual business meeting on Saturday, August 5. It has been a privilege to serve as your president this year. Thank you for the important work you do.
Martin Heesacker, Ph.D.
President, Society of Counseling Psychology (Div17, APA)