Calling all counseling psychologist trainees and professionals with a knack for words!
What is the SCP Connect Team?
To better meet the needs of SCP members and communicate the nature and value of counseling psychology to the world, SCP is assembling a top-notch team of individuals who will compose and acquire diverse content for posting on SCP’s website (div17.org) and SCP Connect (div17.org/scp-connect/) , the premier online portal for news, information, and stories related to counseling psychology and the Society of Counseling Psychology.
- This team, led by the SCP Communications and Technology Board leadership, will first identify topics that various stakeholders (e.g., SCP members, the public, practitioners) want to know more about, such as:
- What makes counseling psychology a unique and valuable specialty of psychology?
- How can graduate students get involved in SCP service and leadership?
- Why should undergraduates consider the field of counseling psychology?
- What do early career counseling psychologists need to know about licensure?
- What cool and important things are counseling psychologists doing in the world?
- How do I integrate multiculturalism and social justice into my clinical practice?
- Updates from SCP business meetings.
Next, team members will write stories, invite guest columns, and locate existing high-quality resources that address these key topics. This content is then posted to the SCP website, with fresh stories and resources appearing each week!
Who should apply?
You should consider applying if you: are a member/student member of SCP, enjoy writing about counseling psychology-related topics, have access to high-quality resources that SCP members and other stakeholders would benefit from using, and/or can identify and invite professionals who could make important contributions as guest columnists. Applicants from all career stages, from graduate students to seasoned professionals, are encouraged to apply.
Why should I join?
Here are a few of the many reasons:
- You want to help communicate the value of your field to the general public, allied health professionals, and the next generation of potential counseling psychologists
- Advocacy: tell the world why our focus on multiculturalism and social justice is so needed and valuable
- Networking: get to know fellow counseling psychologists, potential mentors, and SCP leadership
- Service: part of our identity as counseling psychologists is that, in addition to the research, teaching, and counseling we do, we give back to the profession through service. In order for the Society and our field to remain healthy and vibrant, we must continually strengthen our visibility in the world. The SCP Connect Team is at the front lines of promoting this visibility.
- Career Development: build your CV and have your contributions published on the front page of the SCP website, seen by 10,000 people each month!
- Self-Development: expand your expertise and knowledge base as you draft and curate content related to topics of interest to you.
- Professional Development: opportunities to receive media and op-ed training
- Fun: make friends with fellow Team members and SCP Communications and Technology Board leaders; people to spend time with at the APA Convention
What is the time commitment?
- Team members will start August 1, 2018
- This is a three-year service requirement
- Each member must write at least four brief news stories a year
How do I apply?
- Submit your CV, a one page cover letter describing your interest and qualifications for one of the Team positions, and a 500 to 850-word writing sample to Britney Brinkman, SCP Media/PR Co-coordinator, (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Brittan Davis, SCP Media/PR Co-coordinator (email@example.com ) prior to the May 1, 2018 deadline. Please put SCP Connect Team Applicationin the subject line.
- All applications will be reviewed by the SCP Communications and Technology Board.
Tags: SCP Connect