Counseling Psychology is a specialty within professional psychology that maintains a focus on facilitating personal and interpersonal functioning across the life span. The specialty pays particular attention to emotional, social, vocational, educational, health-related, developmental, and organizational concerns.
The practice of Counseling Psychology encompasses a broad range of culturally-sensitive practices that help people improve their well-being, alleviate distress and maladjustment, resolve crises, and increase their ability to function better in their lives. With its attention to both to normal developmental issues and problems associated with physical, emotional, and mental disorders, the specialization holds a unique perspective in the broader practice-based areas of psychology.
Counseling Psychologists serve persons of all ages and cultural backgrounds in both individual and group settings. They also consult regularly with organizations seeking to enhance their effectiveness or the well-being of their members.
Interventions used by Counseling Psychologists may be either brief or long-term; they are often problem-specific and goal-directed. These activities are guided by a philosophy that values individual differences and diversity and a focus on prevention, development, and adjustment across the life-span.
Counseling Psychologists adhere to the standards and ethics established by the American Psychological Association.
You might also be interested in:
- SCP Connect, the premier online portal for counseling psychology information.
- Counseling Psychology vs Clinical Psychology
- Counseling Psychology Training
- List of APA-Accredited Counseling Psychology PhD and PsyD Programs
- Counseling Psychology Employment
- Counseling Psychology Faculty Position Openings
- Counseling Psychology Practice Position Openings
- American Board / Academy of Counseling Psychology
- Counseling Psychologists’ Accomplishments
- Counseling Psychologists in the News
- “What is Counseling Psychology” Informational Brochure
- 2012 Petition to Renew Counseling Psychology as a Specialty